Thursday, July 28, 2011

Logistics Are Eating My Lunch

As our homeschooling journey continues, it is a constant challenge to keep things organized and efficiently accessible. With no dedicated "school room" for the last several years, we have tried many variations on the theme of: 
drag it all out for school/put it all up for the rest of our day. 


Being a visual person, clutter is not my friend. So I am constantly trying to come up with ways to minimize the mess and still be able to get into my utility room, which has been the school supply repository (I almost typed suppository) for quite a while now. 


We tried laundry baskets. Each child having one that was filled with all their books. It kept things organized, but they were too heavy to lift. Not good. 


Then we tried this big, rolling shelf. 


We kept it in the utility room and would carefully roll it out each morning, trying very hard not to tip it over and kill someone, then back each afternoon. In the meantime, it stayed parked where it was accessible to the kids at the island. Better, but less than ideal. 


Next, we tried moving to the dining room table with each child's books in the chair next to them. Of course, that involved them hauling armloads of books in each morning, and then back to the shelf in the utility room after school. That was not a popular solution. So I allowed them to leave their stuff there all week. Which created VISUAL CLUTTER and rendered the dining table unusable all week. 


So here is variation on a theme, #3174. 


All four kids now have their own rolling cart, newly assembled. There is plenty of room, I can tell at a glance who needs to straighten their stuff, it's easily portable and can be parked in the utility room at the end of each day. It is the best solution so far and it's a major improvement on all our previous attempts. We'll have to see how the field testing goes.


To be continued (I'm sure) . . .

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think!