Saturday, January 16, 2010

Large Doses of Dr. Suess Can Be Hazardous to Your Mental Health

Several years ago, my mother-in-law had a cousin die in Midland. She had asked us to find out when the family visitation was scheduled so that she could make her travel plans. There were some other fairly distant relatives living here and Kregg came home and asked me if I remembered their names. He knew their first names were Butch and Becky, but couldn't remember their last name. I instantly said, "It's Meyers. Butch and Becky Meyers." 

He said, "That doesn't really sound right, Anne." 

But I was convinced I was right. It popped into my head just like I had flipped to it in my address book. Where would that have come from if it wasn't right? How many "Butch's" could I possibly know. As far as I could remember, this was the one and only Butch on my mental "hard drive". 

Kregg went back to the office for the afternoon. He still wasn't convinced the last name was Meyers, so he did some further checking. When he came home again, he said, "Anne, his name isn't Meyers, it's __________ ."

The light came on instantaneously. It was like the book was open in front of me and I started quoting verbatim from memory while Kregg stood and stared:
          
          But the Wubble chap sent me away and he said,
          "Your troubles are practically all at an end.
          Just run down that hill and around the next bend
          And you'll come to the Happy Way Bus Route, my friend.
          The Happy Way Bus leaves at 4:42
          And will take you directly to Solla Sollew
          On the banks of the beautiful River Wah-Hoo,
          Where they never have troubles. At least, very few."

          Well . . .
          the bus stop was there. And that part was just fine.
          But tacked on a stick was a very small sign
          Saying, "Notice to Passengers Using our Line:
          We are sorry to say that our driver, Butch Meyers,
          Ran over four nails and has punctured all tires.
          So, until further notice, the 4:42
          Cannot possibly take you to Solla Sollew . . . 

          "But I wish you a most pleasant journey by feet.
          Signed
          Bus Line President, Horace P. Sweet."
          So I went on by feet, thanks to Horace P. Sweet.
          And that Horace P. Sweet almost ruined my feet!

Upon the completion of my soliloquy, I stood there with my mouth hanging open as the realization washed over me that I had read Dr. Suess so many times over the course of the years to all of these children that his characters had become real! 

Kregg just stood and stared at me, not fully understanding the import of this revelation. 

Hopefully, If he ever asks me the last name of someone named Horace, I will remember that Horace P. Sweet isn't real either!
        
          


2 comments:

I would love to hear what you think!