Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas Pajama Party


Our church hosts a fun community outreach, a Christmas Pajama Party. We invite all the people who came to our Harvest Party. There are games and pictures and cookie decorating and lots and lots of food and fun. 

Our two youngest daughters are tall for their ages, and so it is difficult to find nightgowns that are appropriate. So we decided to make some. And while I was at it, I made me one, too.

It took some creative efforts to get it all cut out because the store didn't have enough fabric. Usually when you are making multiples from the same pattern, you can economize somewhat on the fabric making it go a little farther than the pattern recommends. Making it more difficult, though, both fabrics for the nightgowns were directional prints and so all the pieces had to be cut out with the "top" heading the same way. I ended up having to attach a width of ribbon and one of lace over a serged edge, instead of hemming it, to Elizabeth's gown to make it long enough since there was just no other way to squeeze another inch of length from the fabric.

I do not have a dedicated sewing space, so the mess overtakes the family room and kitchen.
Applying lace

Serging a seam

Attaching a pocket to a robe

There was no trouble finding the boys some Christmas pajamas, so I bought them. Here are all four of the youngest decked out in their new pajamas for the party. My sister, brother-in-law, and their six children came for a visit just in time to go to the party.

Rebekah at the church building ready for fun.

Elizabeth with her little cousins.

Kregg made the pattern for his sleep cap and even shopped for his own fabric. It was quite a conversation starter.

I look like Mrs. Claus!




Josh playing one of the games.

Elizabeth, Rebekah and two of their cousins playing games.

They consumed so much sugar, there was no sleeping that night! This is cousin #3.

 
A grand time was had by all, but it was pretty strange driving around in a nightgown!

8 comments:

  1. Wow your sewing skills are amazing :-) I LOVE those nightgown, so pretty!

    Looks like you all had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the PJ's and I'm completely impressed that you were able to make your own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet that you made their pajamas. We have a Thanksgiving pajama breakfast at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your nightgowns, they look very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the over-lay on the pj's so so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely pajamas!! :) Looks like all had fun too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pj's! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun! I love making Christmas jammies. My sister makes matching Christmas jammies for her 4 kids every year. I tend to do it every other year. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think!